20 July 2009

It's been two years of integration for this school

In 2008, Mississippi's Charleston High School held its first racially integrated prom.

Read that again. It is no typo.

If you have cable watch the documentary on the event and the town on HBO -- Prom Night in Mississippi. I remember hearing about this when it first happened, now we get to see first hand accounts of the event from the students and some parents.

What I can't get over is the fact that even now, as they integrated prom (can't believe I am using that word about current issues), there were white parents who insisted that their children not attend the prom with black children -- they still held a separate prom.

How can we hope to provide brown people with good education when some people think they should not even touch or be around their children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.