01 March 2008

Car stomping, behind bars

I was driving last night and noticed a smudge on my windshield. I examined it at the stop light and realized that it was a shoe print. Freaked me out. My mind starts rushing to who at school could have done this. Which teachers were not paying attention to the middle school students as they marched to lunch through the parking lot?

We got to our destination and I looked at the front of the car. There was a print on the hood. Two of them. Then I looked on the ceiling - two more prints. And one on the trunk, as well.

What the hell. Who walks along someone's car?

Leo said he knew a kid when he was younger who did just that. The kid said that when a car was in the way, that's what they did in California. They just walk over the car.

Strange.

In other news, yesterday on two stations, I heard some astounding news. Here's how they said it on Democracy Now!

Record 1-in-100 Americans Behind Bars

A new report has found that a record 1-in-100 American adults are behind bars. According to the Pew Center, the prison population has grown by 25,000, even though the rate of violent crimes has decreased. 1-in-100 black women are jailed, compared to 1-in-350 white women. 1-in-36 Hispanic men and 1-in-15 black men are in jail or prison. The US has the highest rate of prisoners in the world, with more than 2.3 million people behind bars.
I don't even really know how to address this issue. It has been known for the longest that there are a ton of black men in prison. But when you see that it is 1/15!!! That is truly enraging.

Why are the candidates not addressing this issue? Why do they not talk about what can be done to fix this nation's prison and judicial systems? There has got to be something inherently wrong when the minorities make up the extreme majority in the prison system.

We have 2.3 million people in prison. That is more than the population of a lot of countries.

Think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.