05 July 2008

Snoop - getting his country medicine

I'm not a fan of a whole lot of country music. I never have understood how every country singer has a southern accent -- even Shania Twain who came from Canada rocks a country accent when she sings. Why can't they sing to the music without that twang?

I remember sitting in the training room before or after track practice waiting to get treatment back in college. That was when I first came to hear some decent country music. Some that wasn't all depressing, or super twangy, or just plain cheesy. It still wasn't what I would want to hear on my free time, but I came to appreciate some of the music.

And I have to appreciate a man of Snoop's status for going out and making a country song. It is probably just a ploy to work with (and get high with) Willie Nelson -- after all, the song is about going to "buy [his] medicine". But I can't hate him for that.

Again, it's not something I would listen to at home on my own, but I have to give Snoop props for doing something different. It doesn't even make me respect him less (that honor goes to almost all the stuff he has done since Doggystyle).

What do you think of this?

3 comments:

  1. Willie is on it musically and politically and socially.

    Don't get me wrong, there are some good country singers out there -- Snoop just may not be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I like it, interesting, something new and refreshing.

    This sort of reminds me of Ray Charles or Lionel Richie...

    ReplyDelete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.