18 December 2012

Don't mess with my room!

I try not to complain.

I really do.  I've even written posts about my drive to complain less on this blog.

But, today, I have to complain.

All this week, I am teaching in another classroom.

Another person is teaching in my classroom.

He has left it a mess two days in a row.

Today it was really bad - cookies on the floor as though someone had stepped on them all, four puddles of some unknown liquid, piles of glitter on the floor and on the tables, chewed gum on the floor, a couple piles of pencil shavings piled in a corner, my tripod bulletin board-thing knocked to the floor.

I couldn't deal when I went back in to gather my things and assess the damage.

I was pissed.

I know I could have gone right to him and told him to come back in and clean up or at least put the chairs on the tables so the custodian could sweep up all that ish.

I know I could have gone to him and gone off.

But I didn't.

I instead went to the principal and vented for a second.

Then, I put the chairs up.  Then the custodian came in and made me laugh by saying that maybe the teacher was having a contest to see who could make the biggest mess - maybe a contest to see if they could make the highest piles of pencil shavings.

I know he has a few rough kids in his group this week, and that he may have had a hard day.

But, please have the students clean up after themselves.

I will talk with him in the morning when I am cooled off and can hopefully make him laugh while at the same time letting him know to keep my shit cleaner.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure if you take a humorous approach tomorrow it'll go a lot smoother than if you bark at him ;-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a hard time finding humor, but went to him gently and sympathetically and he seemed to take it.

      The room was much cleaner the past two days.

      Delete
  2. That sounded like a legit complain to me :-) And let us know how you make him laugh. You have gotten me curious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't get a laugh, but did get a smile when I told him that I understood that some of the kids were rough to deal with all day.

      I tried all night and on the way to school to think of something funny, but I was at a loss...

      Delete
  3. I think it was actually really smart to take the time you need to cool off. I don't know a lot of people who have that same presence of mind, so good for you. And I love that you talked with the janitor about it as well as the principle. That was probably my favorite part of the story. Good luck with talking to the teacher tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have always tried to be kind and close with the janitors. This one hadn't said more than hello (usually just a nod in acknowledgement to my greeting) to me each time until that day. I think that is what made his comments even more funny. I didn't know he could be funny or would care to cheer me up.

      Delete
  4. Cooling down before approaching is always a good thing, may not always happen but if it can be done, then great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helps. I was much calmer the next morning and could approach him easily and nicely.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've been there. It's HARD to share a classroom with someone who doesn't value kids cleaning up after themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very hard. Lucky that I don't regularly have to do so.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.