04 December 2012

I finally got him!!

After months of waiting for this to happen, it finally did.

At my school, every Friday, a teacher is awarded with a prize for doing something good that week, or for helping, or for just being great at what they do.  The presentation is done in front of all the teachers. The next week, the previous week's honoree passes the award to someone they deem worthy.

Each week, I have hoped that I had done something worthy of the prize.

Each week, I thought it was going to be me.

Each week, I left the meeting dejected and empty-handed.

This past week, I was so upset at having never received the prize that I didn't even consider that I might actually get it.

But, I did.

I received the honorable Mr. Potato Head.  I was honored for being calm, and able to hold classes without raising my voice a lot and for being able to joke/trick people with a straight face.

Now, I have a week to determine what I will add to Mr. Potato Head.  Each honoree must add something to the man.  One week, a person added an umbrella to protect him from the hurricane, another week it was a breast cancer band since it was breast cancer awareness week.  There is a world map and a jump rope since that is the grading system we use.

I am proud of the award.

And the kids seem to understand what it is for and congratulate me when they see it.

If you have ideas of what I can put on the man for when I pass it on this Friday, please leave them in the comments section.  I will let you know what I finally decide.

10 comments:

  1. Pierce his ear! I am so happy for you! I can feel your excitement all the way through the screen. Why to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on receiving your Mister :) Maybe you should include a stress ball for the little guy, it's almost the end of the semester and we are all getting a little more stressed... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like that idea! You are almost done, me, not so much. Since we start so late in the fall, we don't finish the semester until the end of January!!

      But the Marking Period will end next week.

      Stress still exists, though. I guess that is teaching for you.

      Delete
  3. Great job! Congrats! Maybe a Santa hat or bag of candies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I put candies on him, I would probably eat them off before I was able to present it. The hat idea is a nice one, though!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Maybe add some memento of your StL roots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I need to think of something good and that I can make small to fit him.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!! Sadly, I have nothing when it comes to ideas of what to add to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      No worries. I couldn't think of anything either, hence me asking for suggestions. ;-)

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.