04 November 2012

I've been trained too well

I have almost no winter clothes in NYC.  I have two cardigan sweaters with a low cut front and two thin scarves.  Two long-sleeved shirts that are so thin that I don't even know why they were made long-sleeved.  The rest are four plain colored short-sleeved t's that I've been wearing under the cardigans, jeans, and two camisole-type tops that I can also wear under the cardigans.

The temperature has been in the forties the past few days.

I knew this was coming, so I have been perusing stores for at least a higher collared sweater to wear and a couple long-sleeved shirts.

Unfortunately, I have trained myself too well.

When I did the Six Items or Less almost two years ago, I decided to minimize my clothing.  I also started to shop smarter - if the item was not something I could wear in several ways or wear multiple times in a week and not have people really notice and not something fairly durable, I did not buy it.

The problem with this is that most of the clothes I see in stores and online are not items that fit these criteria.

I have been back to some of the same stores several times to double-check items, to look for new items, to see if they could work with my wardrobe.

But, I have still bought nothing new.

The weather is getting cold enough now that I a may need more than my deep v-cardigans and a scarf to cover my chest.

But, I can't seem to find clothes that I like and that will work.

My goal is to make it until Thanksgiving and see what winter clothes I left in St. Louis.  I honestly cannot remember if I kept a lot or if, in the haste of moving, I gave a lot away.  The only things I can remember holding on to are a pair of gloves, a pair of argyle tights, a pair of leg warmers, and my favorite (way too big) college track hooded sweatshirt.

Here's to hoping for continued warm weather and good, warm clothes in the bin when I get to the parents' house in a few weeks.  If not those, then, hopefully, some better clothes options in stores.

This was my five-minute stream of consciousness post for this Sunday.



Today, there was no prompt and I just let out whatever was in my head for five minutes.  You can join by going to Jana's Thinking Place.  While there, you can post your own thoughts, or read the thoughts of others who have linked up.

24 comments:

  1. I kind of have the same problem with the cold. The winter clothes I actually have are a thick coat, a scarf, gloves, and a beanie. Otherwise, I just wear my normal clothes...

    But I left all that at home, and I can't go home until Thanksgiving week when I finally get a break from college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to be cold girl but you made me shiver. Go get your some tees to wear under your clothes and layer until you can inventory what you have at your parents house. I sound like a parent now saying how important it is to cover your neck and chest. I don't really like wearing coats and I can get away with it in NC. But I have plenty of fluffy scarves for my neck. I think you need the real deal in NYC ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Thanks. Even the search for a good scarf is hard for me. I have been layering the t's and putting on the scarf under my rain coat (of course I don't have a real winter coat either). So far, ok, but it's getting closer and closer to winter. You are right, I could pull this off in other places or when I was just hopping in and out of a car, but now that I have to walk so much, I need more protection from the cold.

      Delete
  3. You need some clothes, girl, 'cause NYC is going to get chilly before Thanksgiving. But I hear you on the lack of clothes out there. I really haven't bought anything new in a while because of that and I need to desperately (it's getting cold in Chicago, too). Have you tried J. Crew. I see that they are always having sales (haven't been in there though) and you can layer. Hope you find stuff in the bin in STL! You have that sweatshirt with you right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into that store. I need to find more layers to pile on.

      Unfortunately, that super-warm sweatshirt is in the bin in StL - I thought I would have more funds and would have been able to go back for a weekend before Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Sadly, in the North, we sometimes get the first permanent snow of the year before Thanksgiving. With all the crazy weather that area's been having this week, I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely not be surprised if big snows hit earlier than normal. I know that Sandy already brought some to some states this past week.

      Delete
  5. I didn't do it on purpose, but my wardrobe is pretty much like that. I need more clothes. And likely you will, too, before Thanksgiving my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about investing in a nice jacket or trench? Those work well with most things and keep you nice and warm while walking to and fro! Good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My "rain" coat is a really nice trench-type. And it's not tan or black, so it looks untrenchy and I can wear it even when it's not looking like rain in the forecast. It's pretty thin, though. But with all the layers it has worked. Today, I was actually getting hot in the jacket.

      Delete
  7. I think I need to shop smarter. I hope you make it to Thanksgiving and if you didn't keep anything I hope the shops in StL are better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Thanksgiving arrives, I try to stay out of the shops as much as possible until after the new year. I can't stand the holiday crowds - so hopefully the items in my bins are good if I don't get anything before-hand.

      Delete
  8. Oh, hope you fared okay with the storm. That was horrible. My son is at college and I am starting to have the same worries about him. Does he have enough warm clothes? He'll have to make it through till Thanksgiving too. Be thinking about you and hoping it stays warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came out better than others with the storm. Thank you.

      I hope that he has enough to stay warm for the next few weeks, too!

      Delete
  9. Oh, how I miss cold weather. Of course, that's probably because we just don't get any in Phoenix. :D

    Have you looked online? There are a lot of sites that offer handmade items that might fit the bill - you get to pick the style / colors, so it works better with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Online. I used to order things easily online, but with the move to NYC, I have no doorman and it is impossible to get things sent to this complex. I am actually looking into a mailing service so that I can have things sent there instead of not buying online. After that is complete, I will be a normal online shopper again.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  10. I have been ALL about simplifying when it comes to my closet this year. But wow - 6 items! You have a lot of willpower, darling. The one thing I have done is no longer respond to the desire to just buy something because it's on sale. My impetuous shopping habits of the past were fickle and that money could have been spent so much better elsewhere.

    Simplicity is good. Stay warm! And I hope you find the pieces you are looking for :)
    Kiran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The six wasn't that bad for the month. I had a dress, some jeans, shirts, sweaters. And accessories didn't count, so I changed up the looks with different tights, scarves (I found so many ways to wear these, including as a belt). It was a fun challenge and made me realize that I didn't wear most of what was in my closet.

      There really is so much we could do with our family and friends instead of buying clothes that we won't wear.

      Thanks and, as I look for the pieces, I hope you find the peace you are looking for. :-)

      Delete
  11. I hear you'll be getting some pretty chilly weather headed your way on Wednesday...maybe time for all the layers? What about vintage/second hand shopping for some more versatile pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea. I will start looking for some stores like that in the area.

      Delete
  12. When I moved back home from London I brought 4 large cases with me...only 1 contained clothes...and even then it was something daft like 2 pairs of jeans, a hoody and 3 t-shirts. I'm very thankful I ended up moving in July because with the way the weather has turned already I would have frozen solid!

    I hope you're doing ok after the storm x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm doing well after the storm... just trying to stay warm from the new storm that has brought cold, and slush.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.