03 August 2007

Reaching today's youth

First meeting for school is next week. Not totally looking forward to it. Then the major meetings start on the 14th and classes begin the next week. The end of my free days.
I really enjoy teaching. One thing I do not like is that I really cannot tell if I am making a difference with the students. Occasionally I have a teacher moment and can tell that something I said in or out of class has really clicked and might change the way a student lives, but that is kind of rare.
Despite the fact that I am the only teacher in the family, all my siblings are constantly working with kids and making their lives better.
Big ups to Big Bro who is making things happen with the chil-run. He got a new job that is really something that will hopefully make the world these children exist in a better place. And they do it across the country, too. Even have some schools they are connected to here in St. Louis.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having anxiety about it. Haven't done shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I have had teachers make an impact months or even years after I left their classroom--you may not witness that "it" moment, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't hit the kid eventually. But I understand the feeling.

    ReplyDelete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.