14 May 2012

They never leave me alone!

Last Thursday, as I left my room to prepare for track practice after school, I heard a strange noise in the hallway.

Kind of buzzing, kind of motor-ish.

As I got closer to it, all of a sudden a bird flew out of a corner and flew toward me close to the ceiling.

I cannot fully explain to you my hatred/fear of large groups of birds.  Really of any bird that can do this to me.
Image from The Birds

I wanted to scream like a little girl, but instead I tried to continue walking calmly toward the bathroom.  Unfortunately, the bird started flying back toward me and I froze.

Suddenly, there were images flashing through my head of The Birds.  Yes, that movie is old, with no real great special effects, but the idea of all of those birds, peck, peck, pecking at me is engrained in my head.

I rushed down to the end of the hall as cooly as I could, propped open the door to the exterior stairwell, and went into the office.  There are glass windows in the office that look out into the hallway.  I immediately turned and looked fearfully out the window.  I was almost oblivious of the secretary and counsellor in the office.

They clearly took notice of me and asked what was wrong.  Before I could finish saying that there was a bird flying in the hall, said bird slammed itself into the glass as though it was still trying to find me and pull my eye from its socket to use as fodder for its young.

The secretary helped open additional doors to help the likely avian influenza carrier out so it could fly to freedom.

When I left the school to drive home, yes, there was some new shit on the front of my car.  I assume that it was from that lonesome bird that longed for the chance to peck at me.

16 comments:

  1. I have a friend who's about as fond of birds as you are. I never really understood until I read the short story by Daphne du Maurier (which I assume the film is based on?) - that scared me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I just read that story and it was super disturbing, though not as much as the movie - something about the visual images of those birds in the movie really gets to me.

      Thanks for the short story idea! I didn't know the movie was based on a story. Despite the grossness/fear factor, it was a good read.

      Delete
  2. All I can think of to say is "YIKES!!!" Not a fan of birds either. My dad and his wife have a pet "some big-ass bird thing" and I scares me to death because she lets it out to fly around the house all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds as pets are gross to me! And it flying around in the house would creep me out completely. Does it poop in the house as it does fly-bys?

      Delete
  3. YOu made me laugh. The visual is very comical - - although I don't like big birds either and I ALWAYS think of "The Birds" when I see a long row of crows sitting on the telephone lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny - looking back.

      But during the whole encounter, it was truly disturbing. As is walking in an empty parking lot underneath massive flocks of birds in v-formation... even if they don't hit you directly, their poop might still get you. I've seen some on windows and have no idea how it could have gotten on the sides of those buildings.

      Delete
  4. I like to see birds "outside"...Not inside..My mother is would tell us superstitions as kids and so I don't like the in the house. I went to a B & B in the fall and the people brought their giant parrot into the diningroom and tried for me to "hold" it...I refused and the look my face in the pictures is priceless..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your mother. Haven't heard of this superstition, but I love her for understanding, in some way, the horror of birds inside.

      Imagining your look in the B & B picture makes me smile. Sorry you had that experience, though.

      Delete
  5. Funny! I was feeling those birds right along with you! I guess it was getting back on you for ignoring it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I really think it was seeking revenge on me for not allowing it to eat my entrails, or for not helping it to go outside.

      Delete
  6. We were apparently on the same wavelength last Thursday. Except the birds were trying to kill me in my car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you.

      I'm sorry you had to deal with the birds and am glad you made it out with no pecking or droppings in your hair.

      I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

      Delete
  7. Birds are scary because they're unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so! You never know where they will fly or if they will be afraid of people or want to challenge people.

      Delete
  8. *snort* Sometimes birds have an uncanny ability to scare my socks off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Why is such a small animal (because I'm not talking about eagles or hawks) able to scare us so much?!

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.