02 April 2012

B is for Beauty

Even when I was real young, I started looking at people in a way that I don't think a lot of people look at others.

I realized that there were some people who were happily with others who I did not find attractive.  I realized that there were people that others found gorgeous that I found not attractive.  Almost everyone finds someone that they can call a friend and possibly even someone that will be their life/most of life partner.

As cheesy as it sounds, I began to find the beauty in all people.

I think this helps me in life in general as well as with educating the children.

Their beauty may be external - say the person that most people call ugly has really cool eyes, or flawless skin, or perfectly taken care of nails.  Or it may be internal - the person clearly has a great sense of humor since s/he laughs at my dry, sarcastic jokes.

As a teacher, it really irks me to hear students joking with other students by calling them "hella ugly" or saying comments about others when they think I'm not listening and calling their bodies or their faces disgusting.  I always get on them about this.  Let them know that not only is it genetics (most of the time) that determines how we each look, but their comments could be hurting the other person in ways we may not ever know.  Even though a kid might joke off being called super ugly, that student may be going home and really doubting their appearance.  The student making the comment may be saying it to someone else because another student said it to them first and they want to hurt someone else the same way they were hurt.

There are people who make fun of black girls who have hair that is natural (thankfully, I have heard several students and teachers say that my natural hair has motivated them to do the same).  "Nappy-head" should not be an insult.  Most black people's hair grows out of their head in coils, waves, or curls, not straight as their weaves/relaxed hair look.

Hopefully, the bullying stops and people see that there is something good in everyone (well, almost everyone) - either in their appearance or their mental abilities/skills.

And hopefully they realize that it is more than just the appearance that matters and will lead to life-long, meaningful friendships.

12 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this. Its a great attitude to see - especially in a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Despite my personal flaws, I try to help the students see good in themselves. Some of them, it may be the only place they hear about their good qualities.

      Delete
  2. It is absolutely NOT cheesey that you find beauty in all people - - and teachers really do have a lot of influence! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for downplaying my cheese! I hope that I am influencing some of the students.

      Delete
  3. I was bullied in school for so many reasons. But that was many moons ago. I currently wear my hair 'nappy' and I don't care who likes it. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is horrible that bullying still happens. Glad you are rocking your hair the way you love it!

      Delete
  4. Great post! Any time I catch one of my students talking about someone else, I call that student out--even if the person they're teasing isn't around. Kids need to know that it's NEVER okay to bully others, and I feel like it's our jobs as educators to show them that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for teachers who care for our students and try to stop bullying! It is totally our job (among the plethora of other duties in and not in our job description)!

      Delete
  5. Teachers have an important role in helping kids see the beauty and worth of others. I wish all parents would do their part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, a lot of times, students don't tell their parents about the bullying that happens to them at school. Since teachers sometimes see students more hours in the day than the students' parents, it falls on us to help in anti-bullying and in helping the students find their shining spots and their beauty.

      Delete
  6. It's a great lesson to see the beauty in people. I think I lost that as I grew up and grew more cynical. thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all need a reminder sometimes!

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.