15 April 2012

A stormy, clear day

All Friday night I couldn't sleep due to the sounds of rain and thunder.  We have a track meet every Saturday from the end of March through May, we leave for most around 7:45am and return around 5pm - they are all day affairs.  Between disorienting dreams, I was worrying about the logistics of a rainy meet.  I checked the radar online and saw that it was all to clear up around 11:00.  Around the time the second crew of our athletes were to head to the meet.

While still in bed contemplating what I would wear to keep my body dry, I received a text from a fellow coach asking if the meet was called off.  I text back that the school's coach was hopeful and I doubt he would call it off.

About 35 minutes later while I was getting ready to go into the bathroom and prep for my departure into the elements, coach calls and says that the meet was cancelled.

At first, there were thoughts of how I would tell all the kids - fortunately, I have a mass texting program that I used on the computer that let all the kids and coaches know with just a few clicks of the computer.

Next thought I had after completing the messaging, "What a glorious day!"

I went back to bed.

I slept late on a Saturday for the first time in what seems like forever.

I ran errands that I usually have to jam into Sunday.

I lazed around the house.  I did some prepping for this week's move out of the house.

It was great.

On Thursday, as I sat before practice waiting for the kids to arrive to our practice location by bus, I had a mini-panic attack when I saw two buses coming over the horizon.  "I'm not ready, yet," was my thought.  I just wasn't ready to deal with the drama of practice - the absent athletes, the athletes that don't try consistently, the athletes that say that they can't lay down or bend over because they are on their period (please explain that to me if any of you have that problem), I wasn't even ready for meaningless coach-banter.

Saturday morning, my thoughts not exactly joy of not being around the kids, but joy of not being out in the rain all day.

By 11:30 Saturday the skies cleared and it was sunny the rest of my day off.

Stream of Consciousness Sunday - I free wrote today, but you can find the day's prompt and other participants on all.things.fadra.  I just wrote whatever was in my head for 5 minutes.



#SOCsunday


19 comments:

  1. It's great to be able to sleep in on the weekend. I too hope for that but it's not possible as the kids have extra activities early on Sat and Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why teams and organizations schedule kids activities so early in the mornings on weekends. I guess kids are already up and then you will have more of the rest of the day to do whatever. And they don't really show good kids shows on tv any more to keep them occupied by that media.

      Hope you get some rest one weekend soon!

      Delete
  2. Here, the storm didn't come until this morning. It stormed while I was still in bed, and then when I woke up, it was decent enough that we could go for a walk and get breakfast. After we got home, the storms started up again. It's pouring rain right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the best storms are the ones that finish in time for you to get on with your regular life without having to get wet. Glad you got the walk in before more rain came!

      Delete
  3. Sleeping in and having what feels like an extra day in your week is a beautiful thing.

    I love rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an "extra day"! Rainy days are wonderful for those lazy days. I have come to love them ever since I accepted that they are a necessary part of nature's beauty.

      Delete
  4. I slept in today. It was good! We were supposed to get storms here in South Dakota. If we got any bad ones, I slept through them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you, too, got to sleep in! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes we just need a little time for ourselves, minus the guilt. I'm glad you enjoyed the break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kid just started track a few weeks ago and its been kinda a pain getting her back and forth. So I totally relate to a free day to sleep in and do things slowly.
    -r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone warned you about dealing with the different events and the length of time meets take! They can be long!

      Delete
  7. I call that a "bonus" day. My daughter ran track all through high school so I know how long your Saturdays are. How glorious to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonus day, indeed! It was really nice to sleep in and chill all day. Track meets can be so long! I'm glad you are done with those Saturdays!

      Delete
  8. I love those unexpected free moments. They totally put an extra little lift in my step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those extra hours (of sleep and to get things done) definitely added some pep to my step!

      Delete
  9. The thought of all day track meets every Saturday for weeks on end makes me cringe. But hopefully you enjoy it a little. But yeah, I love it when you suddenly have a day to yourself that you thought you didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy it... on days when it is not stressful and on days when the kids are behaving well (don't even mind if their performances are not great).

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.