20 April 2012

R is for Really annoying things

I saw this post the other day and have to say, they are pretty spot on.  Buzzfeed The 21 Absolute Worst Things In The World

Here's my take on the ones from their list that really annoy me the most.

#4: The slightly, not-so-perfectly torn perforation of spiral notebook paper.
See the rest of the list

This might not be as annoying to people who don't deal with paper on a regular basis.  As a teacher, it is really annoying to have a stack of papers I'm trying to grade stuck together due to some of the students not knowing how/not taking the time to tear the spiraled edges off their papers.  It is so annoying that I have known teachers who take points off of student work if they do not completely take the perforated edges off the paper.

#5: Clothing items getting stuck on objects while you are walking.
See the rest of the list

I cannot count how many snags in scarves, sweaters, and even regular cotton t's I have due to this annoyance.  And it is always when I have nothing to mend the clothing with or on a scarf that will be ruined if I leave the snag alone or if I try and get the thread to go back into the correct position.

#6: People who don't know how to squeeze tubes of toothpaste or lotion without the solution getting all over the place.
See the rest of the list

I never really thought it would be necessary to have directions on toothpaste tubes that tell you how to squeeze from the bottom to the top instead of right in the middle, but I guess those instructions are necessary - even for people over the age of three.

Perhaps now the tube designers can put some instructions about not getting the paste all over the cap.

So gross.

#14: Silverfish
See the rest of the list

I cannot even begin to describe the fright I experienced the first time I saw one of these in my place.  I was freaking out trying to kill it and at the same time count how many freaking legs it had.  These things are so nasty and can be so huge - especially when you see one early in the morning as you are barely awake and turn on the light in the bathroom only to see it as you are in a half-squat ready to sit on the toilet.

Once there was one on the ceiling and it jumped to the ground as I tried to swipe it with the broom.  I heard it land on the floor.

That is how huge it was.  It made a thud as it landed and was almost too shocked to even smash it.

I have tried so many things to get rid of them.  I have thoroughly cleaned.  I have applied borax on the baseboards.  I have left one of them dead on the ground as a warning for its friends.  I have run a dehumidifier to get rid of moisture.

Nothing has worked to rid the house of them.

And, now that I am just a few days from moving out of here, I can say that I have only seen about 5 in the last month (compared to times when I was seeing at least two each day).

I guess they were coming out before to tell me to leave their home, but now that they know I am leaving, they are chillin' like a villain!

What things really annoy you?

8 comments:

  1. I get annoyed by the same things, but I am also very annoyed at people who are late. Always. No excuses. Just late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really bugs! I know that as a brown person, I'm supposed to be on some sort of stereotypical-colored-people's-time, but I cannot stand being late and don't like when people are late around me.

      Delete
  2. i can relate to you on all counts! especially the bug and the paper":)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. I hope you went over to the original site, too. Even more annoying things!

      Delete
  3. Good God... what the hell IS that thing? I literally shuddered when I read "I heard it land on the floor".

    I'm all itchy now... *eyes room suspiciously*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bug is the grossest I have encountered in person!! It was so gross the first time I heard it land (I say the first time, because it has happened again since). I am less bugged by them since I am more ready for their sightings, except when I first wake up.

      Delete
  4. The toothpaste thing annoys me massively. I have my own toothpaste safely hidden away in my toiletbag at all times just so I don't have to deal with the grossness of the middle squeeze.
    I also really dislike text speak and the seemingly pervasive confusion of possesives and collectives. Annoying, as hell. I want to buy people copies of Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes have students turn in work with text-speak. Can you believe that? And, I know that I'm not perfect with my grammar, but it still annoys me when people mess up the most common aspects like possessives. Hope you're doing well, and thanks for commenting!!

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.