05 April 2012

E is for Eyes

Not they eyes that I literally see with... though, those are starting to fail me after my lasik surgery five years ago.  I can still see pretty well, but I know I am not at 20/25 anymore.

These eyes are the ones that I don't seem to be able to look at myself well with.
Image from a super-fly jeweler, PeaceImages

I have blinders that seem to prevent me from being overly critical of myself in various situations.

For example, I am critical of students who often ask for a fifth or sixth chance to turn in a missing assignment, or who wait until just before the end of the term to turn in work that was due weeks ago.  I often procrastinate, or want people close to me to trust me to do something that I have been putting off and am now trying to do.

Why am I critical of the kids for doing it, but not of myself taking similar action.

My eyes have blinders.

I don't always show that I care a lot about the people I love, but then am critical of people I see on television who clearly don't show their love for people.

There are so many examples.

I really need to work on my vision.

Carrots and lycopene are not going to help me.  I just need to take a step back and look at my actions with a more critical eye.

10 comments:

  1. Nice post. I think we all have a hard time with that kind of vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were all better with this vision. It would probably make my life easier.

      Delete
  2. Interesting and thought provoking post - David

    http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes we are most annoyed by behaviors we try not to see in ourselves (and yet, know they are there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be on to something here... another reason for me to remove the blinders.

      Delete
  4. I know I have blinders on at different time. Sometimes out of fear, and sometimes out of a lack of patience with the people around me. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am fairly patient, but like you said, sometimes a lack of it leads us to see the things we don't see in ourselves.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Wow!
    It's tough to evaluate that person in the mirror. I often find myself being way too harsh with what others should do when I turn a blind eye to my own behavior. I am going to take time to work on me before telling others what to do.
    Great food for thought.
    -r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. It is so much easier to be critical of others even while you are doing similar things. I, too, really need to work on this.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.