03 April 2012

C is for Casual

Casual is the way I have begun to dress (again) at work.

When I first started teaching, there were days when I probably looked more like a student than a teacher.  I was young, and I didn't have a lot of clothes.  I did get a job at Anne Taylor, but their clothes were way too expensive for me to buy a complete wardrobe, at the time.  Instead, I bought a pair of pants (which I still rock to this day - quality in pants totally outranks the price of a cheap pair), and wore cardigans and button-ups that looked like they would come from AT.

Now, I have enough money to purchase higher-quality items, but I have significantly reduced my wardrobe.

The past four years, I have been dressing pretty professionally each day (not counting practice clothes when I am coaching).  Most of the other teachers are pretty casual (even less than business casual) in their dress.  There have been many days when I have been asked what was the special occasion or if I was going on an interview.

This week, I have converted back to the business casual clothes.  I still look decent, and, hopefully, 8 years into my career, I don't look like a student anymore (though one of the custodians tells me I do each time I see her and an athlete at practice mistook me for a new participant on the track team).

I just don't have the energy.  And the weather is so scattered.  Outside it is 90 degrees.  In my classroom, the temperature ranges anywhere between about 60-80 degrees depending on the hour.

Maybe, when I start wearing skirts again, I will go back to dressing up more, but for now, it is business casual.  Fridays, jeans and some sort of decent looking top.

For now, I'm rocking my super comfy un-Croc-like Crocs.  Never thought I would own Crocs, but one step in these was like heaven.  I will buy more at some point.

I am Blogging from A to Z Challenge where each day I write based on a letter of the alphabet.  You can find out more and see the list of all 1,899 participants in this month's A to Z Challenge by clicking this link.

10 comments:

  1. I love dressing up - but not so consistently that people ask what's wrong when I don't. Same goes for make-up. I like to wear it - but not the extent that it's a mask.

    Love your Crocs! The original Crocs are painful to look at - but these are quite cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really avoided anything Crocs because of how the originals look. But a friend informed me that they had some other styles... though hesitant, I checked them out. They even have dress shoes!

      Delete
  2. I prefer to go casual too. I always feel that I am at my best when I am comfortable. I prefer Doc Martins to Crocs though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried Doc Martins since high school. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I'm lucky. I'm a PE teacher so I go casual everyday. Jeans would be dressing up for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be wonderful!! I love when I get to change into my practice clothes for coaching. Thanks for coming through.

      Delete
  4. I have a pair of un croc crocs too. white. I wear them mostly on weekends and to walk the dogs. your black ones are even more un croc than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the shoes so comfortable?! I need to get more colors.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.