13 April 2012

L is for Laconic

As I have gotten older, I have become better at getting to the point when I speak to people.
Cartoon source
Sometimes, this is because the situation necessitates being short and sweet.  Sometimes, my laconic reply to people is because I have a lack of patience for the situation.  I just want to say what needs to be said and be done.

When I send out work-related emails, I try to make them 6 sentences or less.  Three sentences is the ideal.

Stories and analogies and imaginative musings are good for helping explain concepts or ideas in and out of the classroom, but sometimes, it's just not the right time or place.

6 comments:

  1. I love short! And I love that cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! I smile each time I see that cartoon!

      Delete
  2. You've got me thinking about one of my favorite teachers. He taught me that when it comes to words, sometimes the fewer the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes fewer is better, sometimes elaboration is better... I think that we teachers have to be good at deciding which strategy to use when (outside of teaching, too). Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I tend to keep things short too because my brain works faster than my mouth but then sometimes others don't get the point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it really is easier to keep it short, isn't it?

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.