16 May 2008

Reasons I can't sleep.

It's 6:23. I have been up for an hour. Anxious, excited, nervous, stoked.

State track starts today. And I am officially a track coaching dork all of a sudden. The kids should do really well today (knock on wood and my head twice).

We got here later than I wanted since it took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to get from the school to the junction of Highway 40 and 70 -- damn that Highway 40 construction. But we made it to the track at Lincoln and the kids got to warm up and look around. One room (which I have never seen) was open (a sign?) and we got to see the plaques, one of which I hope to win.

Dinner was super late at Applebee's. We got there at nine and it took about 30 minutes to get all the drinks together, and another 40 minutes to get all the food. Of course, mine was last. I started feeling hungry around 4:15. When I don't eat I get cranky. When I am super hungry, I just feel like going off, or passing out. Since I am the boss-lady of all of this, I had to prevent either from happening, and try to keep a happy face as my stomach began to eat itself.

That digestion of my innards led to some uncomfortableness around 2:20am when I awoke with pain like none before. I guess the food I finally got did not get my stomach and how it likes to digest food. I was in the bathroom for about 45 minutes. But it was a lovely, spacious bathroom. At the same time as I was sitting uncomfortably, I kept hearing some male voices who I initially thought were my kids. I wanted to go to the hall and check, but kept having spasms that kept me from moving off the toilet. I finally realized it was not my people when one drunken man came out of the room (in opening the door, he managed to slam it aginst our adjacent wall six times) and said "Damn skippy." I didn't know people still said stuff like that. Maybe it was his drunkenness. Or maybe he was really country.

Since it is graduation this weekend, it took me about 45 calls to find a hotel with enough rooms for all of us. But we lucked out in getting two suites for the kids and the male coaches. Two stories, living room, fully functional kitchen, two bathrooms, two bedrooms, one king size bed, slight balcony -- super tight. The other rooms aren't too bad either with huge flat screen tvs, king sized beds, and huge bathrooms.

Events start at 11. Wake up calls go out at 7:30, so I now have one hour to try and go back to sleep, or at least try and get some rest, as I won't be able to do that again until about 10pm tonight, at the earliest. I don't know how long I will make it with only about 4 hours of sleep. At least it is going to be sunny and warm today. I might be able to bust out a tank top for the first time this season. Crazy since it is usually so hot during track. I also might wear some shorts for the first time at a meet this season.

I am amped. The kids are ready to go. I am hoping to accomplish big things over the next two days.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, friend. I'll be thinking about you guys.


I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.