05 October 2012

Pinning emotions

As I have gotten older, I have become more emotional about almost anything.  Today, we saw a video about the network of schools I work for and I almost teared up.  (Fortunately, I had watched it prior to the public showing and actually shed several tears, so I was prepared to hold them in this time.)

The school does a pinning ceremony where they "officially" welcome each child into their new grade at the start of each school year.  Today was the day for that.

I pinned the students in my Advisory (kind of like homeroom), hugged the ones that asked for a hug and then went to the back of the auditorium to find one of my other advisees.

She has been in in-school suspension the last two days and was not allowed to be a part of the pinning ceremony with the other girls.

When I went to the back row of the auditorium, I pinned her and told her welcome to the 8th grade and that she is going to be like a butterfly just like the pin on her lapel.

I didn't think too much of it, but later today, the Dean of Students came to me to tell me that the girl was so excited and proud that I had sought her out even though she was in the back of the auditorium and pinned her.

When the Dean told me this, I almost cried.  Of course, I had to wear the mask of calmness and not let her know that it was touching me so, but I did tell her that I was really proud of the student and thankful that she shared that story with me.

I think about it now and how proud she was and how I want her to feel proud of herself so that she stops starting trouble that it makes me almost teary-eyed even writing this.

Being a teacher has some really great moments.

16 comments:

  1. I love stories like that. You don't always see the rewards of your job. You don't see that the children you teach often grow to be outstanding people with so much to give. I think it's the little moments like that that make it all worthwhile! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Another great thing from this move is that I have come in contact with some former students in the city who are doing great - one is in her first year of teaching!

      Delete
  2. This is soooo incredibly touching. My eyes teared up. You are one hellava teacher and person! That school, those kids and parents are lucky you moved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you have the chance to make such a big impact on those kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is really rewarding to get acknowledgement that something I did made an impact.

      Delete
  4. What a WONDERFUL story! That school is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate the comment and hope it is true.

      Delete
  5. I love this story, thank you for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure you have some similar touching moments with the kids and some of their "small" moments at school.

      Delete
  6. Yes. You are blessed and a blessing! Beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It is really awesome to think about.

      Delete
  7. Oh how beautiful! (: thank you for sharing with us as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh that is lovely. I always think it is great, no matter what your profession, if someone goes out of their way to let you know you have made a difference. Everything suddenly seems worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is really great to know when we make a difference. I just wish we were all able to hear it more. It would make each thing we do easier and make us each feel more appreciated.

      Delete

I share my thoughts and would love to read your thoughts, too.